It’s Ally Week! There is a lot that you can do to support gender expansive youth.
1. Watch Debra Chasoff’s Straightlaced from October 13-17th. Sign up here.
2. Follow GLSEN’s Take Action Steps-from a minute, to an hour and to an afternoon:
|Actions in a minute:
|Actions for an hour:
|Actions for an afternoon:
– See more at: http://glsen.org/allyweek/betterallies#sthash.3DQudKQX.dpuf
I’m realizing that many of you are wondering how do we help our tenderest and youngest at school?
A lot of new resources have just been published in the past month to help parents wondering as we all have been:
1. “I am Jazz” the wonderfully published story about Jazz Jennings by Jessica Herthel (Author), Jazz Jennings (Author) and Shelagh McNicholas (Illustrator)
2. Guidelines On How to Build more Gender Inclusive Schools
3. The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) of the United States Department of Education also provides technical assistance to students who are gender expansive. The OCR will issue a Dear Colleague Letter to schools for any student on student sexual harassemnt or sexual violence- and gender expansive youth falls under the umbrella of sexual because this is how Title IX laws were written in the 1970s. This Questions and Answers on Title IX and Sexual Violence Document was issued in April 29, 2014 by Catherine Lhamon, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights and is available here.
Check out the wonderful work by Molly Biewald and the folks at the Syracuse Cultural Workers – www.syracuseculturalworkers.com!
The Bay Area Rainbow Day Camp will be at the 2014 Solano Stroll!
It’s one of the largest street fairs in the nation!
Come visit our booth- we will be with the Schools & Non-profit groups at Masonic & Evelyn.
Pick up a brochure! Buy a raffle ticket (iPad mini-ipod-tricylce!). Buy a cookie!
Come say hello- we’d love to see you and yours.
ACLU / LGBT Rights https://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights
Born This Way Foundation http://bornthiswayfoundation.org/ Camp Aranu’tiq http://www.camparanutiq.org/
Campus Pride http://www.campuspride.org/
Courage Campaign http://main.couragecampaign.org/
Equality California http://www.eqca.org/
Equality Federation http://equalityfederation.org/
Family Equality Council http://www.familyequality.org/
Gender Spectrum http://www.genderspectrum.org/
Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN) http://www.glsen.org/
GLMA: Health Professionals Advancing LGBT Equality http://www.glma.org/
GSA Network http://www.gsanetwork.org/
Hetrick-Martin Institute (HMI) http://www.hmi.org/
Human Rights Campaign http://www.hrc.org/
I Am Trans People Speak http://www.transpeoplespeak.org
Lambda Legal http://www.lambdalegal.org/
National Center for Transgender Equality http://transequality.org/
Our Family Coalition http://www.ourfamily.org/
PFLAG National http://community.pflag.org/
Project Spin http://projectspin.org
Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders (SAGE) http://www.sageusa.org/
TransActive Gender Center http://www.transactiveonline.org/
Transadvocacy Network http://www.transadvocacynetwork.org
Trans People of Color Coalition http://www.transpoc.org/
Transgender Law Center http://transgenderlawcenter.org/
Trevor Project http://www.thetrevorproject.org/
True Colors Fund http://truecolorsfund.org/
Truth Wins Out http://www.truthwinsout.org/